Transforming Perceptions

These past few years have brought a whirlwind of emotions between becoming employed, moving half-way across the country, and finally having the ability to focus on myself, my weight loss, and my faith. This blog is a reflection of all of these items and how they interact with each other.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Pros and the Cons

I got good news today! The State of Michigan wants to hire me out of my contractual position, but of course, there has to be a few twists. As a contractual, I am right now considered a P11, but the state only sees my previous employment experiences as a P10...so here's the pros and the cons concerning the switchover.

The Pros

1. Better benefits, including eye care.
2. I will be higher up on the waiting list for a parking space downtown.
3. I don't have to pay union dues.
4. It IS a state job.
5. Banked leave. Many people have issues with banked leave because you're working 80 hours every two weeks, but getting paid for 76 hours. Those 4 hours are "banked" and can be used as time off. The way I see it, more time off for traveling!!!!


The Cons

1. I have to pay for benefits. It's not a whole lot, but I don't have to pay for anything right now. (But is this truly a bad thing with the chaos I've been through?)
2. Slightly less pay until I get my first raise (and my boss is going to try and get my first promotion earlier too). After my first raise in the fall, I'd be making about the same.
3. I know many people give unions a hard time, but they are good for something. I will not be in a union.
4. I have to go through a probabionary period again and can't take time off right away (I can take the two days they give me upon hire and the banked leave, but none of my vacation time).

Hmmmm...I'm sure I'm missing some, but it truly is a no brainer. I will definitely take it, and see where it leads me. But first, I have to the pass the drug test! LOL No worries there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home