Transforming Perceptions

These past few years have brought a whirlwind of emotions between becoming employed, moving half-way across the country, and finally having the ability to focus on myself, my weight loss, and my faith. This blog is a reflection of all of these items and how they interact with each other.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Our Armed Forces

I completely agree with what Jeff Edwards, a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer, wrote in Military Opinions on March 14, 2005. I am tired of the bad publicity our armed forces get.

Here is an excerpt of what Mr. Edwards had to say:
I'd like to close with an invitation to those journalists, analysts, experts, and politicians who sit up at night dreaming up new ways to criticize our armed forces. The next time you see a man or woman in uniform, stop for ten seconds and reflect upon how much you owe that person, and his or her fellow Sailors, Marines, Soldiers, and Airmen. Then say, "Thank you." I'm betting you won't even have to explain the reason. Our Servicemembers are not blind or stupid. They know what they're risking. They know what they're sacrificing. They've weighed their wants, their needs, and their personal safety against the needs of their nation, and made the decision to serve. They know that they deserve our gratitude, even if they rarely receive it.

Two words -- that's all I ask. "Thank you." If that's too hard, if you can't bring yourself to acknowledge the dedication, sincerity and sacrifice of your defenders, then I have a backup plan for you. Put on a uniform and show us how to do it right.
I probably have not said it once in the past week, but thank you for the sacrifices you have made so that our country is kept free. Let's remember that this weekend when we celebrate the 4th of July - the day we became free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home