Transforming Perceptions

These past few years have brought a whirlwind of emotions between becoming employed, moving half-way across the country, and finally having the ability to focus on myself, my weight loss, and my faith. This blog is a reflection of all of these items and how they interact with each other.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Lions and Tigers and BEARS

Last year, when I first moved here, I was warned that Michigan had bears in the Upper Peninsula. So when I heard that a bear was spotted at Walmart by the Eastwood Towne Center, I was floored! The Eastwood Towne Center is only two miles from my apartment!!! Boy-oh-boy...and to think I was at THAT Walmart Saturday night. Actually, I have another story concerning my shopping trip to Walmart. :D

It's been awhile since I have been blatantly hit on. I know what you're thinking, a cute woman like myself? It's gotta happen much more often than that! :-) After Saturday night service at church, I stopped at Walmart; I needed cat food, deodorant, jerky, and a few items for a couple of my wonderful heroes serving in Iraq. As I got out of my car, the Walmart guy who was collecting carriages completely, obviously stares at me. No biggie. He slows down working on his task at hand, as I walk past him. He starts up a somewhat flirty conversation - it was to the point where I expected him to leave me his number on my car...seriously! Now don't get me wrong, there is a time in everyone's life in which they work for a Walmart, or a Blockbuster...some sort of retail environment. For me, it was Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Cracker Barrel, and Hewitts Garden Center. They ALL helped finance my education, so I can understand a 20-something year old working at Walmart during the summer. I am always willing to date a guy no matter what he does, he just has to be smart and have goals for his life. Pretty simple, right? I think so. Did I ever mention that I love having a guy who makes me laughs? :o) Anyway, he didn't leave his number, but it sure felt good to know that there are some guys that are attracted to me...even if it is just for my boobs. :) :) :)

Okay...back to animals. I am not a hunter. I don't even listen to my dad talk about hunting and what he has killed, if he got anything. I think it may have been the pictures he showed me the first time he killed a deer; he had taken pictures of the dead deer, and it being gutted and hung. The pictures are still vivid in my head. Don't get me wrong, I eat meat, but I have not eaten anything off of a bone in over a year. I feel like a bloody carnivorous beast when I do. I know, I know, I'm rambling today, but there is a point!

I live at the end of a long apartment complex, right by a busy road. Just under a year ago, I had gotten home from work, and was out on my balcony grilling up some bratwurst. There was a guy playing with his dog in an open yard across Saginaw Street (for those not in this area, this is a VERY busy road, especially at rush hour). As I was grilling, in the corner of my eye, I saw the dog get really close to the road, it was barking loudly, and all of a sudden I hear a car screeching, and a BAM. I see the dog yelp back to the yard, and I thought, "Oh my!!! Somebody just hit that dog!!!" So I ran into my apartment to see if I could catch a license plate in case the car didn't stop (I know, I'm such a good citizen). Lo and behold, a car did not hit the dog, but hit a deer instead. Now this is a shock because there is not a lot of open land in this particular area. About five miles north, yes, but here, no. I freaked and didn't know what to do. I ran to my kitchen briefly, and came back out. The deer was trying to drag itself across this four lane road. By this time I had tear soaked eyes, and tears running down my face. This poor animal was scared to death, injured, and just couldn't get out of the way. It finally retreated a little and got halfway onto the sidewalk. My heart still aches remembering this. To sidetrack a moment, it makes me hate society. Here we are, these powerful humans who ruin nature and the environment, and blame the deer for ruining our car, but in reality we should be mourning for the deer we killed by our massive polluting machines. We push the animals out of their natural habitats and claim this land as ours. Society just does not appreciate nature. I guess it's why I like camping...to get away from this modern world mentality. Anyway, back to the story. By the time I got control of myself, I called the cops, but somebody already did, and they arrived soon after. By this time, the stuff on the grill was ready to be taken off, so as I was on the balcony. The way my balcony is set up, and where the deer was, I couldn't see what was happening, but I did hear two shots. Of course, being the over-emotional wrecking ball that I am, I started sobbing. I convinced myself later that they only used tranquilizers to calm the deer for transportation. Yeah, right...but I'm sticking with that story and don't tell me otherwise!

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Michigan's going pretty good. There's a few things I'm still adjusting to, like "pop" instead of soda, "warsh" instead of wash. Sometimes I wish I was a little closer to my parents and sister, but I think I'll adjust just fine.

Thanks for asking! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home