Transforming Perceptions

These past few years have brought a whirlwind of emotions between becoming employed, moving half-way across the country, and finally having the ability to focus on myself, my weight loss, and my faith. This blog is a reflection of all of these items and how they interact with each other.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Joining the workforce was supposed to be a vacation

I thought joining the workforce would be a vacation to the lifestyle that I was living in college and graduate school. Let me exlain...

I was VERY involved in college at the University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth. I was part of student senate, the treasurer/vice president of the campus activities board, worked 20 hours a week (at one point, at 3 different jobs), voluteered/interned at least 4 hours a week, and took 15-18 credits a semester...just to name a few things. Late nights consisted of either studying or partying with the number of friends I had made. I was lucky to get a few hours of sleep a night.

At the State University of New York at Albany, it was pretty much the same kind of story, except I didn't take as much of a leadership role in the school. Instead, I chose to work 30-60 hours a week and help out at church, on top of a 15-18 credit semester. I celebrated another week of survival by hanging out with my friends at some bars/clubs.

When I came to Michigan, I saw it as an opportunity to finally relax. I would have NOTHING to do besides working my 40 hours a week. This has not been the case. By all means, I am not complaining, but I wonder sometimes, by doing all these things, what am I trying to prove? And who am I trying to prove it to? I try to do so many things because I don't like to think about myself; I rather take care of somebody else. It's been hard to realize that I have needs and sometimes I have to focus on those needs. I had a friend tell me one time, "Let me help you." I cannot be afraid to ask for help when it is needed; it's okay to show weakness every now and then. People do not always notice when you need help, unless you ask for it.

As for living with my busy lifestyle? Well...that's a part of who I am. I enjoy being busy, but I also have to remember that I need to take time and care for myself. I don't want to burn out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home