Transforming Perceptions

These past few years have brought a whirlwind of emotions between becoming employed, moving half-way across the country, and finally having the ability to focus on myself, my weight loss, and my faith. This blog is a reflection of all of these items and how they interact with each other.

Sunday, June 05, 2005

My Journey

Everybody talks about their paths and journeys through life. It's what makes us unique - nobody has the same story, and certain things in life may impact us more than others.

When I moved to Michigan, I saw it as an opportunity to recreate myself. Nobody knew who I was or anything about my past. Everything was going to be new - new apartment, new friends, new job...new life. I thought by coming to Michigan, I was going to find myself, but a piece of "myself" was still in Massachusetts. You are not yourself without your past. Your past experiences help shape your current views, morals, and behaviors. Your future, though, is not dictated by your past. You can overcome any and all flaws if your are open to and aware of them.

Growing up, I was taught by a variety of people of how to keep a grudge. I had kept so many grudges against people, there were times I knew I was not talking to somebody, but I couldn't remember why!!! Through my faith in Christ, I have been able to understand what total forgiveness is and I have been able to not only forgive the wrongs of others onto me, but ask for forgiveness as well.

Between learning about total forgiveness and now knowing that I am not perfect, I feel as if I released all my stress and tension. Think about it...do you not count the number of times somebody has offended you so that you can throw it back in their face if you ever need to? How about throwing all that hidden anger out by forgiving them? You don't always have to tell them that you forgive them because the majority of the time, they do not know they offended you, but forgive them in your heart anyway. You may be missing out on a good friendship because of something that occurred twenty years ago...is it really worth it?

My perceptions change because I am open to the idea of change. At one point, I wasn't because I was supposed be perfect, right? I want to better myself in all areas of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home