Transforming Perceptions

These past few years have brought a whirlwind of emotions between becoming employed, moving half-way across the country, and finally having the ability to focus on myself, my weight loss, and my faith. This blog is a reflection of all of these items and how they interact with each other.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Laptop Computers in Elementary School

I do not mind the idea of teaching children at a young age to use the computer, especially in this techno-savvy day. The news article I read (can be seen here) speaks well concerning the struggle for those students who cannot afford to do something like this, but my concern is one from a public health perspective. Studies have shown that even college students who use a laptop regularly are more likely to have shoulder, back, wrist, and joint issues - this has to deal with how close the keyboard is to the computer screen. My concern is that we do not know how negatively this will impact the health of our elementary school children who would be using laptops for 10 or more years compared to college students who only use them for 4-6 years. I personally would like to see a better ergonomic laptop before requiring its use in children so young.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home