Transforming Perceptions

These past few years have brought a whirlwind of emotions between becoming employed, moving half-way across the country, and finally having the ability to focus on myself, my weight loss, and my faith. This blog is a reflection of all of these items and how they interact with each other.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Memorial Day

Yesterday I went to a Memorial Day Ceremony that was absolutely beautiful, absolutely moving, and has stirred up my soul to try and do greater and better things for our soldiers!

They planted two pear trees, told stories of heroes who served in Iraq, read the names of those who died serving in Iraq, played TAPS, played the star spangled banner, and released three doves. I silently weeped when they played TAPS, and an older gentleman next to me stood there saluting the flag. It made me appreciate the soldiers I knew so much more, especially those who have lost comrades in Iraq. I wish I had the ability to hug them and let them know that what they fighting for is not and was not in vain. This was also the first time I saw doves released - I was always told it was illegal to release them. The three doves were released for our veterans and the soldiers currently serving, for those who lost loved ones, and our freedom.

The star spangled banner was played beautifully, but out of the small crowd that came to this ceremony, two guys did not take their hats off!!! One guy was in his late thirties or early forties and the other was probably about sixty. I was pretty ticked off, it isn't that hard to take your hat off in observance of our flag, our nation, our freedom...to show respect for our country, and our fallen heroes.

The ceremony was held at the cemetary in which my grandfather's gravesite was located. It was the first time I got to pay homage to him and his service in WWII. Please take a moment and show your appreciation to those who have served and to those who are now serving our wonderful nation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home