Transforming Perceptions

These past few years have brought a whirlwind of emotions between becoming employed, moving half-way across the country, and finally having the ability to focus on myself, my weight loss, and my faith. This blog is a reflection of all of these items and how they interact with each other.

Monday, September 05, 2005

No Title

I guess I should talk briefly about why the current administration of this country scares me. Maybe "scare" is the wrong word. I really didn't want to get into this on my blog, but with everything that is going on, I just need to write about it and discuss it and clear my thoughts. I feel like we are going backwards instead of forwards.

First and foremost, the church and state have to stay separate. I don't care who you are or what you believe in, but your religious beliefs should not be incorporated into your bills, policies, or laws...even your decisions when you are in control of our nation, whether you are a Supreme Court Justice, in the Presidential Cabinet, or even the President himself. You cannot be biased because of your religious convictions and you should not suppress a whole population for that fact only. I do not think it's proper and even constitutional (because of the separation of church and state, although the Supreme Court sees otherwise) to have the Ten Commandments displayed in the courts. I do not think students should have to say the Pledge of Allegiance because we should not be forcing people to say "Under God," not everyone is going to believe in God. America is a melting pot and it should recognized as this. Granted our Founding Fathers were Christian and America back then was Christian, but in this day and age, everyone is not Christian. We need to be open to this. I support stem cell research 100%, and I am a Christian. I am pro-choice, and I am a Christian. It is not my place to deny a woman an abortion - I would do everything in my power to try and stop her because I do think it's wrong, but it's not my place to ban it nor should it be our government's. And probably the most controversial: I support civil unions for those who are gay. And for those who wanted to criminalize gay sex? That to me is like saying let's criminalize premarital sex (not going to happen) or let's criminalize alcohol consumption again (yeah right). We should not be dictating other people's lifestyles, what they should do or what they should be like - in the end, God is going to have the final judgment on how we lived our lives. I am going to live my life as a Christian, I will talk to whomever about the issues and explain the Bible to them, but in the end, I cannot decide what is right - they will.

A few other things...

As much as I agree with Republicans on their stance concerning foreign policy and our military, it is the Democrats who target my top priority and that is public health, preventive health, health care coverage, hospitals, etc. It is my field, it is my job, and it is my passion. If I remember my statistics correctly, since the Bush Administration was elected in 2000, among those aged 18-64 years in Michigan, the proportion who had health care coverage has decreased by about 3 percentage points between 2000 and 2004. But then again Michigan has the worst job market right now and the highest unemployment rate (or in the top two, I'm too lazy to look it up right now).

Phew...that was a load off my chest.

1 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

In some issues, I am very conservative, but I was raised as a liberal, and it's hard to leave certain beliefs at the snap of your fingers (I've tried). I cannot pretend to be something I am not, and there are some issues that I truly struggle with (the combination of evolution and faith being one...maybe I'll write on that some day soon). If you would like one instance in which I am conservative, I am willing to leave my job when it is time to raise my kids up until they start school, then I'll go part time. Family is too important to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home