Transforming Perceptions

These past few years have brought a whirlwind of emotions between becoming employed, moving half-way across the country, and finally having the ability to focus on myself, my weight loss, and my faith. This blog is a reflection of all of these items and how they interact with each other.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

What would you do if you saw a car flip over?

What would you do if you saw a car flip over on the highway? Continue on as if nothing happened? I'm serious...what would you do?

Here is what I would do. I would swerve to the breakdown lane, call 911, and then sit/stand, hold one of their hands, and talk them through it until help came. What would I talk to them about, anything that happened that day, where I was, where I was going, what I was doing, anything to keep them awake and preoccupied. If somebody was already doing all this, I would stand on the side to wait and give the police my account as a witness.

So why am I asking this question? I want people to really think about what their reaction would be to something like this because I nearly witnessed something like this tonight. We finished up small group (bible study) early, around 8:00pm, and Rachel and I stood and talked a little by our cars. I left Beaners at 8:15. As I approached the Jolly Road exit, I saw a few breaklights way in front of me. I debated about whether or not taking the exit, but decided to wait through the traffic. I assumed that it was just an accident at the 496/127 split, the drivers are usually crazy around there. I noticed everyone getting into the left lane, so I hopped over (it's a two lane highway). At this point everyone was getting annoyed and started doing illegal U-turns on the highway (good job everyone, let's have another accident happen). I patiently waited, and all of a sudden about 5 police cars, 2 firetrucks, and 2 ambulances darted to the left of us. I did the holy cross and said a prayer. One police car turned around and it looked like they were detouring everyone off the Jolly Road exit. The car behind me was leaning as far left as possible because he wanted to either 1. see what was happening or 2. decide if he wanted to do an illegal U-turn as well if the traffic was backed up too far. Off of one of the bigger trucks in front of me, I saw lights shine off of it, so I knew we were getting close. I also noticed three cars on the other side of the road in their left hand breakdown lane (which really isn't one, but they pulled onto the median grass as well), one in which had a door wide open. My heart kind of leaped, I knew something major had happened...I hoped one of those illegally parked cars on the highway was a doctor. At this time I also saw a HUGE truck partially in the left hand lane, but mainly in the right hand lane with a sign saying "Oversize/Overload"...he parked right behind the rolled over SUV so that they were protected. He was the only car on our side of the road that had stopped for these people. I got a full view of what all the police, firefighters, and EMTs were doing. They already had one person out of the SUV onto a stretcher. I said another prayer for them knowing full well that I could have been right there with them if I had not talked to Rachel a little longer after our small group. Maybe God was looking out for me.

But this had me thinking...would you stop for a stranger to help them? Or would you prefer not to get involved? Granted you do not want to crowd the scene, but if you witness it, wouldn't you want to do something? This world is so bitter and so cold sometimes, it hurts to think about it. I think that's why I admire men in uniform because for the most part, they stand for something, they believe in something and that something is usually other than themselves. This image will haunt me forever...just like that deer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home